Wednesday, March 7, 2007

She-Ra

Tweet This Post
First things first, New York City here I come. I'm sure the trip will generate plenty of blogging material!

Today, I'm going to post something a good friend wrote after reading my book. Thanks to Kathe Gogolewski for giving me permission to reprint here and thanks for the plug!

She-Ra Lives

I'm reading a book by Allyn Evans called Grab the Queen Power: Live Your Best Life. The topic and tone of the book took me back to a Halloween experience a couple of months ago. Evans talks about the role of women - both the old role and an emerging one that many women are embracing. Memories of my own girlhood came flooding back. I also remembered my own daughter's struggle to reconcile the contradictions around being a girl in a changing society. And I thought of last Halloween.

I had just stepped into an elevator at a medical center in La Jolla with my husband, Ray. Just before the doors closed, a hand shot out to catch it, and a lovely young woman stepped inside. She was wearing a helmet and carrying a shield and sword that I recognized, though I hadn't seen that costume in almost twenty years.

"You're She-Ra," I told her in amazement.
She turned to me, looking surprised. "You know her?" she asked.

"Yes! My daughter's kindergarten Halloween costume was She-Ra, Princess of Power!"

Her look of consternation increased. "It was my costume in first grade," she said. "And my favorite. But, no one knows her anymore." I thought I noticed a tinge of sadness in her voice. "I never forgot She-Ra, though." She smiled.

"Neither did my daughter," I told her. "She's 25 now, but the spirit of She-Ra is still with her."

I saw this young woman's shoulders slump (like she was melting), and she said "I'm 25." And I think that we understood a lot between each other at that moment. She hugged me and I told her she was a "soul daughter." Then, the elevator doors opened and she walked out, waving. I never learned her name.

Why such emotion over a twenty second interchange? The She-Ra phenom from Mattel didn't make it long-term, only two years before it faded away, but it was a dynamic messsage for girls while it lasted. I haven't seen anything quite like it since: A woman of power - independent with supra-natural capapbilities...equal in status and power to He-Man, her male counterpart. For those girls (and women) that heard the message, the ending of the show was a cause for grief - a grief that my elevator soul daughter and I understood. I wonder if there's a new generation that is ready for She-Ra, or a contemporary counterpart. That'd be nice.

I'm not advocating that every woman become a Princess of Power. Some women aren't interested. And choices are cool, I say, so be whatever makes you happy. Hey, I love strawberry ice cream, but if chocolate works for you instead, who am I to object?

I highly recommend Allyn Evan's book. It's great for women (and men who wish to understand) who would like to take a closer, more personal look at their cultural position in our society.

By Kathe Gogolewski
Author of Tato and other books
Look for Kathe's short stories on Amazon.com
www.tri-studio.com
www.audiodivas.com

Thanks, Kathe!:) She-Ra Power to you.

No comments: