Friday, November 12, 2010

Do You Know Where You Are Going To?

Tweet This Post

Last night I watched The Family That Preys featuring Kathy Bates as a socialite and well-to-do Charlotte Cartwright.

Near the end of the movie one of the characters (Alice) played by Alfre Woodward gives the eulogy at Charlotte's funeral.


Alice repeated something she often heard Charlotte say to her, "Are you living or just existing?"


I realized the minute I heard it. "Oh dear. Here comes an important message. Are you listening?"


I hope you'll give this question some thought. Maybe, for you, it's the right message at the right time.


Another powerful message delivered by Bates' character came through lyrics of song. Using the words from Lee Ann Womack's song "I Hope You Dance," Charlotte encouraged Alice to make fun choices.

Quite possibly the most haunting lines of the song are the key message: "Tell me who wants to look back on their youth and wonder where those years have gone."
And just like Charlotte and Lee Ann, "I hope you dance." But I want to add one more ingredient to this recipe. "I hope you dance. Now."

2 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Yes, now would be the time!

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

I've always said that as we lie on our deathbeds, we'll only regret the things we didn't try, not the things we did. Whether or not we succeeded in that effort. I don't think this idea is morbid. I think it helps keep me on track.

I always love your writing, your style, Allyn
Best,
Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Blogging writers' resources at Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites pick www.sharingwithwriters.blogspot.com